Event: Heavy rains from Tropical Storm Fiona are expected to reach the Dominican Republic by Sunday, and may impact Haiti this weekend and early next week. The rainfall may produce flash and urban flooding, along with isolated mudlisdes in areas of higher terrain according to the National Hurricane Center (NHC).
The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the tropical storm’s track and will issue updated messages.
Actions to take:
- Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- American citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to Haiti. Enrollment is completed at https://step.state.gov/
- Visit www.Ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance
- If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided
- Review our “Hurricane Season-Know Before You Go” webpage, and on the “Natural Disasters” page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website
- Never attempt to drive through standing water, find alternate routes
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: email@example.com