Event: The National Hurricane Center (NHC) and Haiti-Meteo advise that Tropical Storm Elsa has been upgraded to a hurricane. A Tropical Strom Warning is in effect for the entire coast of Haiti and a Hurricane Watch is in effect for the southern portion of Haiti from Port au Prince to the southern border with the Dominican Republic. Surface observations from Barbados indicate that Elsa’s maximum sustained winds have increased to near 75 mph, and the cyclone is now a hurricane. Tropical storm conditions are expected and hurricane conditions are possible over southern portions of Haiti on Saturday and into Sunday. Flooding and mudslides are possible.
Hurricane Elsa is currently located about 40 miles west of Barbados. (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml).
The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the storm’s track and will issue updated messages.
Actions to take:
- Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- American citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to Haiti. Enrollment is completed at https://step.state.gov/
- Visit http://www.ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness.
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
- If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided.
- Review our “Hurricane Season-Know Before You Go” webpage, and on the “Natural Disasters” page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
- Never attempt to drive through standing water, find alternate routes.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: email@example.com
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
- 1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
- 1-202-501-4444from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter