Event: The National Hurricane Center (NHC)and Haiti-Meteo advise that tropical storm conditions are expected to begin in portions of the Dominican Republic this morning. Tropical storm conditions are possible in northern Haiti and the southeastern Bahamas by late today. There is a risk of wind and rainfall impacts in portions of Hispaniola, the Bahamas, and Cuba during the next few days, although the forecast is still uncertain. Interests in these areas should monitor tropical storm Fred’s progress and updates to the forecast.
The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the storm’s projected path and will issue updated messages.
Actions to take:
- Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- American citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to Haiti. Enrollment is completed at https://step.state.gov/
- Visit http://www.ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness.
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
- If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided.
- Review our “Hurricane Season-Know Before You Go” webpage, and on the “Natural Disasters” page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
- Never attempt to drive through standing water, find alternate routes.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: email@example.com
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
- 1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
- 1-202-501-4444from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter