Event: The National Hurricane Center (NHC) and Haiti-Meteo have issued a Tropical Storm Watch for Tropical Storm Grace for the entire coast of Haiti. Tropical storm conditions are possible in Haiti within the next 48 hours. Maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph and some strengthening is expected before Tropical Storm Grace reaches Hispaniola. Weakening wind is forecast as Tropical Storm Grace crosses Hispaniola Monday and Monday night. Tropical Storm Grace is expected to produce 4 to 7 inches of rainfall over Haiti and the Dominican Republic with isolated maximum totals of 10 inches. Heavy rainfall could lead to flash and urban flooding and possible mudslides from Monday into Tuesday. Interests in these areas should monitor Tropical Storm Grace’s progress and updates to the forecast.
The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the storm’s projected path and will issue updated messages.
Actions to take:
· Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
· American citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to Haiti. Enrollment is completed at https://step.state.gov/
· Visit http://www.ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness.
· Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
· Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
· If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
· Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided.
· Never attempt to drive through standing water, find alternate routes.
· U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: email@example.com
· Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
· 1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
· 1-202-501-4444from other countries
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates