Event: The National Hurricane Center (NHC) and Haiti-Meteo Tropical Storm Watch for Tropical Depression Grace remains in effect for the entire coast of Haiti. Tropical storm conditions are possible in Haiti within the next 24 hours. Maximum sustained winds are near 35 mph with higher gusts. Little change in wind strength is forecast during the next day. Tropical Depression Grace is expected to produce 5 to 10 inches of rainfall over Haiti and the Dominican Republic with isolated maximum totals of 15 inches across the southern terrain areas through Tuesday. Heavy rainfall could lead to flash and urban flooding and possible mudslides. Interests in these areas should monitor Tropical Depression Grace’s progress and updates to the forecast.
The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the storm’s projected path and will issue updated messages if the storm’s projections change.
Actions to take:
- Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- American citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to Haiti. Enrollment is completed at https://step.state.gov/
- Visit http://www.ready.govfor tips on emergency preparedness.
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
- If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided.
- Review our “Hurricane Season-Know Before You Go” webpage, and on the “Natural Disasters” page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
- Never attempt to drive through standing water, find alternate routes.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org