Returning Resident Visa

A U.S. lawful permanent resident must return to the United States within one year of departure.

If you plan on remaining outside the United States for longer than one year, you must apply for a re-entry permit (Form I-131) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.  Re-entry permits are not obtainable from outside the United States.

If you have obtained a re-entry permit (Form I-131) you must return to the United States within the validity period of the re-entry permit.

If you have been outside the United States for more than one year and do not have a re-entry permit, you will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States.  Applicants for SB-1 visas must prove to the consular officer that extenuating circumstances existed that prevented return to the United States through no fault of the applicant.  You can learn more about SB-1 Visas on

To apply for a Returning Resident (SB-1) visa, applicants should visit the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in Port au Prince on any working day between 7:30 a.m. and 10 a.m.

You must bring the following documents to the interview:

  • Completed Form DS-117;
  • A valid passport;
  • Two identical 2 x 2 inches photographs;
  • LPR card or a police report if your LPR card was lost or stolen;
  • Evidence that demonstrates that your protracted stay outside of the United States was for reasons beyond your control.