Replacing a Lost/Stolen/Damaged/Expired Green Card (I-551)

My “Green Card” is lost, stolen, damaged, or expired.  What do I do now?

If you have been outside the United States for less than one year and you have lost your green card, you have had your green card stolen, or your green card is damaged or expired, the U.S. Embassy in Port au Prince may be able to issue you a Boarding Foil that will permit you to return to the United States.

Schedule an Appointment

To schedule an appointment, please email us at with a detailed explanation of your situation.  You must pay the USCIS fee before your appointment.  If your green card has been stolen, you must file a police report before your appointment.

Required Documents

You must bring the following documents in person at the time of your appointment:

  • Completed Form I-131A , Application for Travel Document (Carrier Evidence);
  • A printed copy of the $575 online fee payment made through the USCIS online payment system (ELIS) for filing Form I-131A
  • Valid passport, including all old passport(s) if available.
  • Police report regarding the loss of the LPR card with an English translation, if applicable
  • Copy of your Lawful Permanent Resident card (green card), if available
  • Proof of entry into Haiti (Carte de débarquement can be requested at the Haitian Immigration Office at Lalue) or copy of the last ticket used to enter Haiti
  • Proof of your return ticket to the United States
  • Evidence to demonstrate that you have not been outside the United States for more than one year
  • Two identical, color 2 x 2 inch photographs
  • Copy of each original document
  • If you are under 18, we will also need a) your birth certificate (in extract form from the National Archives) and b) a notarized letter from a parent or guardian authorizing your return to the United States.

All boarding foils issued are valid for 30 days.  If your application for a boarding foil is approved and you fail to travel within the 30 day window you will have to follow the same process again to obtain a new boarding foil.