Transmitting Citizenship

Requirement: You must have at least two child page associated to this parent in order for the table of contents to appear. This message will disappear once you meet the requirement.

United States Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti



A child born outside of the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship and be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). When filling out forms, do not leave any fields blank. For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable). Extracts from the Haitian National Archives (located in Port-au-Prince) are required for all Haitian birth, marriage, divorce, and death certificates that were issued more than two years ago. To apply:

  •  Complete Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad DS-2029;
  • Complete Affidavit of Physical Presence or Residence, Parentage and Support DS-5507; and
  • Complete passport application DS-11

 Gather documents: On the day of your appointment, you will need all of the following (original and two photocopies of each document):

  • Child’s original birth certificate issued by the Civil Registrar.
  • Two passport pictures (2”x2”) of the child.
  • Proof of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship, such as an original U.S. birth certificate, passport, CRBA, Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship.
  • Proof of physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s): Valid time includes when undocumented, as a Legal Permanent Resident, or as a U.S. citizen. All physical presencemust have occurred prior to the birth of the child. Examples of proof of physical presence includes vaccination records, baptismal certificate, elementary and middle school report cards, high school and college transcripts and diplomas, military records (DD-214), income tax return, W2s (from employment held while in the United States), Social Security Statement, old passports, etc.
  • Proof of identity for each parent: a valid, original passport, driver license, or ID card.
  • Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s):If you are married, provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate. If you were previously married, please provide marriage, divorce, or death certificates for all previous marriages.
  • Pregnancy and birth records: dated ultrasounds containing the name of the mother, laboratory test results, doctor/ultrasound/hospital receipts, pictures of the mother pregnant, pictures of mother and baby immediately following the birth and during the hospital stay. Any and all hospital or medical documents (discharge orders, paid hospital bill, prescriptions following the birth, etc.)
  • Proof of relationship between parents: For example, time-stamped photos of the couple together before, during, and after the pregnancy, photos of the U.S. citizen parent with the newborn baby, Western Union money transfer receipts over time, birthday cards, email printouts, lease agreements, bank statements, home utility bills, etc. Proof the couple was together at the time of conception, i.e. passport with entry and exit stamps, etc.


Once you have all of the above, make an appointment via our website. On the day of your appointment at the Embassy, the child and both biological parents must appear in person. You must bring all of the above documents, plus two photocopies of each.  In addition, inside the Embassy, you must pay 100 USD (or equivalent in gourdes) to apply for the CRBA. If we determine your child is a U.S. citizen, we will also charge you for a first-time child passport application (115 USD or equivalent in gourdes). Payment may be made in the form of cash or major credit card (Visa or MasterCard).