Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (November 9, 2018)
Location: Port-au-Prince and other locations in Haiti
Event: Due to sporadic and unpredictable demonstrations, roadblocks and violence, effective immediately and until further notice, American employees are prohibited from traveling within Haiti beyond a 15-mile radius of the Embassy without prior Chief of Mission approval.
Actions to take:
- Review your personal security plan;
- Reconsider travel plans, due to the potential for road closures;
- If traveling by road, consider traveling in convoys of two vehicles if possible;
- Monitor local news reports;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Share your contact information and travel plans with family, friends or others;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks;
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.