Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (November 29, 2018)
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince remains open for American Citizen Services, as well as immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments.
On November 29, the U.S. government authorized the voluntary departure from Haiti of non-emergency U.S. government personnel and their families. For more information, please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Haiti.html. American employees may only make essential movements around Port-au-Prince, and are prohibited from traveling within Haiti beyond a 5-mile radius of the Embassy without prior Chief of Mission approval.
Actions to Take:
- Do not attempt to drive through barricades or protests.
- Avoid large gatherings of people.
- Contact your family to keep them informed of your welfare and whereabouts
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter