Security Alert Update – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (February 12, 2019)
· Route National 2 at Carrefour is blocked by large barricades.
· Carrefour Rita to Gerald Bataille is blocked by burning tires.
· Boulevard 15 October is partially blocked between Delta Camp and Carrefour Fleuriot with debris from old roadblocks.
· Burning tires near Sun Auto on Blvd 15 October
· Rocks being thrown at vehicles driving on Route De Freres in the area of the Vivy Michelle HNP Commissariat.
Events: The security situation remains very unstable with demonstrations very likely. The potential for violent pop-up demonstrations is high and they are proving to be sporadic and unpredictable. Public transportation is shut down again today. Many roads have debris, so caution is needed to prevent damage you vehicles. Rock throwing from small groups is likely in numerous areas.
Actions to take:
· Avoid the areas;
· Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
· Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
· If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
· U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: email@example.com
· Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444from other countries
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates