Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (February 11, 2019)
• Juvenat area- oil on the road near Union School entrance, roadblocks on Juvenat road after Parc Ste Therèse
• 15 Octobre- burning tires near OAVCT
• Gunfire near the U.S. Embassy
• Unmanned roadblocks near the HNP academy
• Between Puits Blain and Vivy Mitchell- burning tires
The security situation remains fluid. The gunfire heard earlier was most likely from motorcycle drivers as they passed the area as more shots were heard down by Giant. Due to the fluid nature, all U.S. Embassy personnel moves will be made in armored cars.
The chance of gunfire near the embassy remains high. If gunfire is heard, you should seek shelter in your residence and stay away from the windows for at least five minutes after the last shot is heard.
Actions to Take:
• Avoid the area
• Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
• Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
• If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Facebook and Twitter