Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (February 10, 2019)
Locations: Throughout Port-au-Prince
Events: The security situation remains very unstable with demonstrations very likely. The potential for violent pop-up demonstrations is high and they are proving to be sporadic and unpredictable. If you hear gunfire or protest groups, seek shelter inside your house immediately and stay away from the windows.
At this time, the Shelter in Place remains in effect for U.S. Embassy personnel. No movements should be made outside the perimeters of your house or compound for U.S. Embassy personnel.
We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates throughout the day.
Actions to Take:
- Avoidthe area
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter