Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (February 9, 2019)
Locations: Throughout Port-au-Prince
Events: Sporadic gunfire was reported throughout Port-au-Prince, to include Tabarre, Vivy Mitchell, Bourdon, and along Route de Frere. Roving groups on motorcycles are quickly swarming areas, shooting into the air, and lighting tires on fire before quickly moving to another target.
Due to the current security situation, all U.S. embassy personnel are to abide by the following curfew, effective for the night. The curfew goes into effect 5 pm tonight, February 9th until 7 am, February 10th until further notice.
Actions to Take:
- Avoidthe area
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter