Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (February 9, 2019)
Locations: Blvd 15 October, and Ave. Mais Gate
Events: Burning tires on Avenue Mais Gate south of the Cannes-a-Sucre compound, affecting the route up to Vivy Mitchell that either goes by Aristide University or farther past OAVCT.
Traffic is light and public transportation is operating at a reduced level. The security situation is still very fluid and caution must be exercised. Remember that reporting is delayed, so believe what you see over what you read.
There is still debris spread across many roads but they are passable. Remnants of burned tires are present in front of the Belmart store on 15 Octobre. Check your tires before departing and use caution when driving to avoid hitting debris and damaging your vehicle.
Avoid any unnecessary trips out. If you do travel in town, make sure someone knows where you are going and keep them updated.
Actions to Take:
- Avoidthe area
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter