Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (February 8, 2019)
Events: Protest activity continues in Port-au-Prince and other areas of Haiti. Out of an abundance of caution, the embassy has instructed its employees to remain at their residences between 6:00pm February 8 and 7:00am February 9. The U.S. Embassy is also consolidating employees in central locations. American employees are prohibited from traveling within Haiti beyond a 15-mile radius of the Embassy without prior Chief of Mission approval.
The Consular Section plans to open for normal business at 7:00am on Monday, February 11. If you were unable to attend your AmericanCitizen Services appointment on February 7 or 8, please reschedule your appointment online. To reschedule a missed visa appointment, please call 509-2812-2929 (Haiti) or 1-703-544-7842 (U.S.), or email support-Haiti@ustraveldocs.com.
Actions to take:
- Review your personal security plan;
- Monitor local news reports;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Share your contact information and travel plans with family, friends or others;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
- Emergencies: +509-2229-8000
- Non-emergency inquiries:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
- 1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
- 1-202-501-4444from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter