Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (February 6, 2019)
On Thursday, February 7, 2019, a large protest is planned in Port-au-Prince, scheduled to begin at 10:00am and conclude at approximately 3:00pm. The planned protest route will affect portions of downtown Port-au-Prince and Petionville, including the areas of Champs de Mars, Poste Marchand, Bel Air, Delmas 18, La Saline, Avenue Pan American and Avenue John Brown. The embassy has instructed all employees to avoid these areas during this time.
In addition, out of an abundance of caution, the embassy has instructed its employees to remain at their residences between 6:00pm February 6 and 7:00am February 7. The embassy will open two hours late on February 7. The embassy is also requiring children of U.S. employees to not go to school on February 7, as the protest route is expected to affect routes home at the end of the school day.
The Consular Section remains open for emergency American Citizen Services (ACS) only. Forroutine U.S. citizen services, please reschedule your appointment online.
All immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments for February 7 have been cancelled and will be rescheduled. To reschedule your visa appointment, please call 509-2812-2929 (Haiti) or 1-703-544-7842 (U.S.), or email support-Haiti@ustraveldocs.com.
Actions to take:
- Review your personal security plan;
- Stock up on supplies such as food, water and fuel;
- Monitor local news reports;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Share your contact information and travel plans with family, friends or others;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
- Emergencies: +509-2229-8000
- Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://ht.usembassy.gov/
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
- 1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
- 1-202-501-4444 from other countries