Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (November 15, 2018)
Location: Port-au-Prince and other locations in Haiti.
Event: The Embassy has received notice of large demonstrations planned for Sunday, November 18 in Port-au-Prince, and possibly other locations. In response, out of an abundance of caution, the Embassy is requiring its American employees to shelter in place beginning at 12:00 pm on Saturday, November 17, 2018.
Actions to take:
- Review your personal security plan;
- Reconsider travel plans, due to the potential for road closures;
- If traveling by road, consider traveling in convoys of two vehicles if possible;
- Monitor local news reports;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Share your contact information and travel plans with family, friends or others;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks;
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.