Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Location: Driving from Toussaint Louverture International Airport in Port-au-Prince.
Events: Continuing high number of violent armed robberies against U.S. citizens after departing the airport. The Embassy has procedures in place to detect surveillance and deter attacks on its employees.
Actions to Take:
- Arrange to have your host or organization meet you at the airport upon arrival, or pre-arrange airport to hotel transfers.
- Be aware of your surroundings.Make sure you are not being followed as you leave the airport. Drive to the nearest police station or other safe location immediately if you notice you are being followed.
- Be judicious about providing your destination address in Haiti. Do not provide personal information to unauthorized individuals located in the immigration, customs, or other areas inside or near the airport.
- Keep a low profile.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as jewelry or watches.
- Do not resist a robbery attempt.