Events: Opposition groups and civil society organizations have announced a planned demonstration in Port-au-Prince, today May 18, using the following route: French Embassy through Champs-de- Mars, Lalue, Martin Luther King, Autoroute de Delmas, Delmas 60, Route de Bourdon, Avenue Lamartiniere and then return back to Champs-de-Mars.
Also as a reminder, Haiti has the highest (Level 4) Travel Advisory (“Do Not Travel”) for kidnapping, crime, and civil unrest. The travel advisory for Haiti, available at travel.state.gov, notes that kidnapping is widespread and victims regularly include U.S. citizens. Those deciding to travel and/or remain in Haiti should carefully consider the information available on travel.state.gov.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter