Location: Cap Haitien
Events: The United States Embassy in Port-au-Prince is suspending employee travel to Cap Haitien from May 17-21. This is in response to multiple credible reports of potential protests and roadblocks by groups who wish to protest the Government of Haiti’s official Flag Day ceremony in Cap Haitien on May 18. Protestors have been known to create blockades by stacking burning tires and using overturned vehicles. Demonstrations associated with this announcement and the ongoing vigilantism could turn violent.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: email@example.com
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter