Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (March 29, 2022)
Location: Les Cayes, Haiti
Events: The U.S. Embassy has received credible reports that the airport in the town of Les Cayes has been temporarily closed following violent demonstrations at the airport. Please avoid all unnecessary travel to the area and remain vigilant, as the security situation continues to be highly unpredictable.
As a reminder, Haiti has a Level 4 “DO NOT TRAVEL” Travel Advisory for kidnapping, crime, and civil unrest. The Travel Advisory for Haiti, available at Travel.state.gov, notes that kidnapping is widespread and victims regularly include U.S. citizens. Those deciding to travel and/or remain in Haiti should carefully consider the information available on Travel.state.gov regarding the extremely high risk of the kidnapping threat in Haiti.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter