Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (October 12, 2018)
Events: The Embassy has received notice of large demonstrations planned for Wednesday, October 17 in Port-au-Prince, and possibly other locations. In response, out of an abundance of caution, the U.S. Embassy is consolidating employees in central locations. Beginning at 7:00pm on Tuesday, October 16, the Embassy is requiring its American employees to shelter in place.
As October 17 is a local holiday, the Embassy will be closed for routine business. The Embassy remains open for emergencies at all times; see contact information below.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plan;
- Reconsider travel plans during this period, due to the potential for road closures;
- Monitor local news reports;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gathering of people;
- Share your contact information and travel plans with family, friends or others;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks;
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area; and
- Do not seek shelter at the U.S. Embassy.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter