Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (March 19, 2020)
Location: Haiti, Countrywide
Event: On March 19, President Jovenel Moïse announced two (2) confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Haiti.
The government of Haiti has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools, universities, vocational centers, and factories are closed until further notice; gatherings larger than 10 people have been banned. A curfew is in place from 8 p.m.-5 a.m. beginning at midnight on March 20. President Moïse also announced that, starting at midnight on March 20, all ports, airports, and borders would be closed with the exception of transportation of merchandise, and the captains and the pilots of cargo vessels/planes. Visit the local government COVID-19 website: https://mspp.gouv.ht/newsite/ for updated information.
Effective March 19, U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince has suspended all non-emergency consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information https://ht.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Haiti.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: email@example.com
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter