Location: Haiti, countrywide.
Events: The U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince wishes you a safe and enjoyable holiday season!
During the holiday season, crime often rises, particularly in the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area. This include requests for bribes, armed robberies, street robberies, house burglaries, kidnappings, and armed clashes between gangs. Travelers are sometimes targeted, followed, attacked and robbed shortly after leaving the Port-au-Prince international airport. American citizens should remain vigilant and follow good security practices due to the increased risk of security incidents.
Actions to take:
- Arrange airport transfers and hotels in advance, or have your host meet you upon arrival.
- Be careful about providing your destination address in Haiti. Do not provide personal information to unauthorized individuals located in the immigration, customs, or other areas inside or near any airports in Haiti.
- As you leave the airport, make sure you are not being followed. If you notice you are being followed, drive to the nearest police station immediately.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Avoid visiting establishments after dark without secure, on-site parking;
- Conduct banking transactions (Banks/ATM/ Money Exchange) only at safe locations such as supermarkets and hotels with security guards.
- Avoid withdrawing large sums of money.
- Keep vehicle doors locked and windows closed at all times when driving.
- Exercise caution and alertness, especially when driving through markets and other traffic-congested areas.
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks.
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- Purchase travel insurance and medical evacuation insurance ahead of time.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter