Event: The National Hurricane Center (NHC)and Haiti-Meteo advise that a weather system moving across the northeastern Caribbean Sea is expected to develop into a tropical storm. Tropical storm conditions are expected in portions of the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico beginning this afternoon, and in the Dominican Republic by Wednesday. Tropical storm conditions are possible in northern Haiti and the southeastern Bahamas by late Wednesday. There is a risk of wind and rainfall impacts in portions of Hispaniola, the Bahamas, and Cuba later this week, although the forecast is more uncertain than usual since the system is still in its formative stage. Interests in these areas should monitor the system’s progress and updates to the forecast.
The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the storm’s track and will issue updated messages.
Actions to take:
- Remain current on weather, road and water conditions through news sources such as the National Hurricane Center https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- American citizen residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program which enables the Embassy to share both emergency and routine information relevant to Haiti. Enrollment is completed at https://step.state.gov/
- Visit http://www.ready.gov for tips on emergency preparedness.
- Update and review your family’s contingency plans; all U.S. citizens should have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Make sure your travel documents are up to date and easily accessible.
- If you are in an emergency and are safe, be sure to notify friends and loved ones.
- Contact police or other authorities if you encounter dangerous conditions – and follow warnings and directions provided.
- Review our “Hurricane Season-Know Before You Go” webpage, and on the “Natural Disasters” page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
- Never attempt to drive through standing water, find alternate routes.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org