Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (March 6, 2021)
Events: U.S. citizens driving vehicles with tinted windows are advised to exercise extreme caution while they circulate throughout Haiti. Darkened windows are frequently associated with vehicles used by kidnappers and this issue may be at the root of a recent attack on a U.S. Embassy employee. Be aware of your surroundings at all times and avoid unnecessary travel.
Actions to take:
- Avoid traveling if not necessary, particularly with tinted window vehicles;
- Avoid demonstrations and any large gatherings of people;
- Do not attempt to drive through roadblocks; and
- If you encounter a roadblock, turn around and get to a safe area.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter