Location: Border Between the Haiti and the Dominican Republic
Event: The Government of the Dominican Republic has announced the possible closure of air, sea, and land borders between the Dominican Republic and Haiti as of Thursday, September 14. This is in addition to the currently closed Dajabón-Ouanaminthe and Elias Piña-Belladere land border crossings. If the closure occurs, U.S. citizens planning to depart Haiti for the Dominican Republic on or after September 14 will not have the ability to do so and will need to make alternate arrangements. The U.S. Embassy is not able to facilitate entry into the Dominican Republic through a closed border crossing.
Haiti’s Travel Advisory is Level 4, “Do Not Travel,” meaning that any U.S. citizen still in Haiti should depart immediately as safely as possible via commercial means. Flights from Haiti to the United States and destinations other than the Dominican Republic are still operating normally.
U.S. citizens should not travel to Haiti due to kidnapping, crime, civil unrest, and poor health care infrastructure. On July 27, 2023, the Department of State ordered the departure of family members of U.S. government employees and non-emergency U.S. government employees. U.S. citizens wishing to depart Port-au-Prince should monitor local news and only do so when considered safe.
Actions to Take:
- Use extreme caution in traveling around Haiti.
- Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings of people in Haiti.
- If you encounter a roadblock in Haiti, turn around and get to a safe area.
- Make and practice contingency plans for sheltering in place and/or accessing airports while in Haiti.
- Review the guidance on travel to High Risk Areas.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have travel documents up-to-date and easily accessible.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter