Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti (March 9, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
As of March 9, 2020, the Haiti Ministry of Health announced no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Haiti.
On March 9, 2020, the Haitian Ministry of Health released a Notice requiring airlines operating in Haiti to take measures to prevent the boarding of passengers coming from “red zone”, countries with a high risk of contamination of COVID-19 virus (China, South Korea, Iran, Italy, France and Germany) who have not spent the previous 14 days in an area without local transmission of the virus. It notes also the preceding list may be updated depending on the evolution of the epidemic. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit theCOVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Haiti.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- U.S. Embassy Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Tabarre 41, Route de Tabarre
Non-emergency inquiries: email@example.com
- Contact the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 toll-free from the United States and Canada
1-202-501-4444 from other countries
- Haiti Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter